Saturday, February 18, 2012

Lucky #Lucan The OFFICIAL Story - Scotland Yard Sworn To Secrecy

Here is the Scotland Yard Official story given to the media. The truth however and what caused Lucan to fly into such a rage had nothing to do with money, gambling or debts.

Lucan and what he witnessed,  not even forum myth, the secret so well guarded that ONLY a few knew among their circle of very close friends, everyone that is but Lucky himself and if Lady Lucan had not laughed at him maybe Sandra Rivett would still be alive but she did laugh and laughed and laughed, it was more than Lucky could bear !

The Offical Story To Silence Wagging Tongues

Something was amiss on the evening of Thursday, November 7, 1974, at the imposing, six-story brick house at 46 Lower Belgrave Street, one of London’s most fashionable neighborhoods. At about 8:55 p.m., 29-year-old nanny Sandra Rivett went downstairs to the basement kitchen to make some tea for her employer, Countess Veronica Lucan, wife of the Seventh Earl of Lucan. About 15 minutes later when Sandra had not returned, Lady Lucan became concerned. She left her three children upstairs and went down to the main level to look for Sandra.

The six stories of the house included a basement, where the breakfast room and kitchen were located. The ground floor held the dining and living areas of the house, as well as a cloakroom. Above the main level were four more upper floors with various other rooms, most of which were bedrooms.

While on the main floor, Lady Lucan noticed that the basement light was not on. When she tried the light switch, it did not work. Lady Lucan then called Sandra’s name. There was no reply.

Lady Lucan walked toward the cloakroom on the main floor, believing that the faint noises she heard coming from the small room were probably Sandra’s. Suddenly, she was brutally attacked and bludgeoned repeatedly on the head by a heavy object. When she screamed, a forceful voice commanded her to shut up.

Lady Lucan, barely 5 feet 2 and 100 pounds, struggled fiercely with the large menacing figure. Before she could make sense of what was happening, the attacker forced three gloved fingers down her throat. Then he tried to strangle her and gouge out one of her eyes, but the countess was not a woman easily defeated. She grabbed the man’s testicles and squeezed them, temporarily incapacitating her attacker and making possible her eventual escape. The events that followed have created a mystery that spanned almost three decades and resulted in the disappearance of one of Britain’s most famous royal figures.


“Murder, murder! I think my neck has been broken! He’s tried to kill me!” Lady Lucan said as she burst through the doors of the local pub in her blood-soaked night dress. The Plumber’s Arms was just 30 yards from the Lucans’ home. “I’ve just escaped from being murdered. He’s in the house. He’s murdered the nanny!” The children were still in the house with the murderer, she managed to convey to her audience, but nobody rushed over to save them. Instead, someone at the pub called the police, who rushed to the Lucan home. Lady Lucan, who had collapsed unconscious on the floor, was taken to a nearby hospital.

The police forced open the door to the stately home and began a search. They noticed a lot of blood on the ground floor stairwell. Concerned about the children’s safety, they immediately searched the upper floors. The three Lucan children were found unharmed. Two of the youngest children, Lord Bingham, 7, and Lady Camilla, 4, were asleep in their rooms. Lady Frances, 10, was watching television in a second-floor bedroom.

Police noticed on further inspection of the ground level that the basement door was open. Near the door they found on the floor a twisted, bloody 9-inch piece of lead pipe, wrapped with tape. As police continued their search, they found more blood in the basement breakfast room. Within the blood lay pieces of smashed china. There was an unscrewed light bulb on one of the chairs in the basement, which police suspected the intruder had taken out so that his victim could not see him.

Police also found in the basement a canvas mailbag, lying in a large pool of blood. Inside the bag they found the bloody body of the nanny, Sandra Rivett. She had severe skull injuries on the back of her head.

At about midnight, police went to Lord Lucan’s Elizabeth Street apartment, where he had lived since separating from his wife more than a year earlier. But investigators could not find him.

The Countess' Story

The following evening, police visited the hospital bed of Lady Lucan. She had suffered from shock, loss of blood and seven severe scalp wounds.

She told them that she had been watching television with her daughter that evening in the second-floor bedroom. Sandra had put the two younger children to bed earlier. As she and her daughter Frances watched television, Sandra knocked at the door. It was shortly before 9 p.m.

Sandra asked if they would like some tea, to which the Countess agreed. After about 15 minutes, Lady Lucan said she began to wonder what was keeping Sandra so long. She told investigators that she went downstairs to find the nanny and it was there, near the stairs on the ground floor, that she was brutally attacked. She discussed the struggle in great detail. She was certain that the assailant was her husband, Lord Lucan.

Lady Lucan said that after she grabbed his testicles, she and her husband fell to the ground in a state of exhaustion. According to Lady Lucan, her husband admitted to accidentally killing the nanny. She said that Lord Lucan had mistaken Sandra for his wife since Lady Lucan typically made the evening tea and Sandra usually had Thursday evenings off.

Linda Stratmann, author of Lord Lucan Mystery, writes that Lady Lucan tried to calm her husband down by persuading him that Sandra would not be missed. Lady Lucan told her husband that they could hide the body, and she could tell the police that a burglar was responsible for the attack, according to Stratmann. Fearing for her own life, she agreed to do whatever he wanted. Lord Lucan asked if she had any sleeping pills and suggested that she take some. She agreed to take the pills only if she could lie down for a while in her bed upstairs. The two rose from the floor and went up to the second level, dripping blood along the way. They entered the bedroom where Frances was still absorbed in the television program. In her statement to police, Frances said she noticed that her mother had blood on her face when her parents entered the room. Frances said she was sent to her room.

Lady Lucan stated that they went into the bathroom, where her husband inspected her wounds. She told police that Lord Lucan laid a towel down on the bed for her to rest on. When her husband went to the bathroom for more towels to clean her wounds, she seized that moment to escape. She ran out of the house to the Plumber’s Arms pub nearby.

The Seventh Earl

Richard John Bingham was born on December 18, 1934, to George Bingham, the Sixth Earl of Lucan and Countess Kait Lucan. Richard John Bingham, referred to as John, was the second of four children, including a younger brother and two older sisters. The Lucan children spent most of their youth in the company of maids and nannies. During World War II, they were separated from their parents and initially sent with many other children to the safety of the countryside. Eventually, England was not considered safe enough and the Lucan children were sent to America. While in the United States, the children stayed in luxurious mansions in Florida and New York. War did not prevent them from living the life of royalty. The Lucan children were sent home to England following the war.

While in England, John attended Eton, where he developed an interest in gambling and racing speed boats. The towering young man, who stood 6 feet 4, was handsome and aristocratic looking. In 1953, he joined the National Service as an officer in the Coldsteam Guards. Following his stint in the army, he joined a merchant bank. However, John’s passion for gambling exceeded his interests in business or anything else. He spent a great deal of his free time at the casino tables at the Claremont Club in Berkley Square. In 1960, after winning more than £26,000 in two days, John decided to devote himself full time to gambling. His closest friends referred to him from then on as “Lucky.” Soon after his big win, he left the bank. more